Graphic Novels Workshop: The Art of Showing and Telling
- Start date:
- Jun 18, 2022
- Ability Level:
Discover how to create your own graphic novel, starting with the fundamentals of storytelling. In this fascinating course, participants will learn how to compose a scene and create that scene in comic format.
This course mixes theory and practice, with time dedicated to lectures and practical sessions. Attendees will get the chance to develop their own projects with the help and guidance of the mentors leading the class.
Dates: 18 – 30 June
Week 1: Saturday & Monday & Wednesday at 4PM
Week 2: Saturday & Monday & Wednesday at 4PM
Check the full schedule here.
Location: Doha Film Institute, Building 25, Katara Cultural Village.
- Attendees should bring their own drawing medium, either Sketchbook or Tablet
- No previous drawing experience is required, but participants should have a passion for storytelling and come with a project in mind.
How to Apply
- Applicants are requested to email email@example.com
- Applicants should submit a short personal bio. Portfolio submissions are optional.
- Submissions will close on 12 June.
- Spaces are limited, so attendees will be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis
Roda Al-Thani is a Qatari Visual Artist based in Doha, Qatar. She graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar with a BFA in Graphic Design. Her work ranges from game design to publications and posters. During her four years at VCUQ, she received several awards, among them—the 2015 World Men’s Handball Championship Mascot design. In 2018, she earned her MFA in Visual Narrative from the School of Visual Arts in New York. She has since been featured in several exhibitions, including Ajyal Film Festival and is currently a producer at Qatar Museums.
Dawood Al-Anwari graduated from VCUQ in 2013 with a BFA in Graphic Design. He has worked on multiple film sets as an Art Director and developed a passion for teaching. Dawood has taught multiple courses across his field of knowledge, from stop-motion classes to 101 Intros to Game Design and Poster Design to university students. He is passionate about comics, manga and graphic novels, and is currently working on developing his own comic book story.