THE FILM REVIEW COMPETITION
Thank you for joining our DFI special screening of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.” Hope you enjoyed the experience !
Was the Harry Potter Finale Worth the Wait? You Tell Us!
SUBMIT YOUR REVIEWS to:
- Earn your invitation to become a Doha-Giffoni Experience juror
- Enter our film review competition: the best 3 reviews will be published by a local newspaper
- Get your review posted on the DFI website
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION:
Who is eligible: anyone 8-18 years old
Language: reviews in either Arabic or English
Deadline : 4th of August
Submit your review to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your name, age, email address and/or your facebook/twitter account.
The Winners: you are all invited to a special Doha–Giffoni Experience Ramadan event where the winners will be announced. Register to our email address and you will receive details for this upcoming event.
Sign Up to:
- Get more information on how to become a Doha-Giffoni Experience juror and attend the Doha Tribeca Film Festival 2011 (October 25-29)
- Find out about upcoming Doha-Giffoni Experience events in August, September and October
- Discover new and exciting opportunities to appreciate film
The Tips to be considered when writing a film review.
- If you are reviewing a film that has sequels, make sure you’ve seen them all. You need to be familiar with the previous films before formulating a proper judgment.
- If you can, make sure to watch the film more than once. This will allow you to take notes of key elements you might have missed the first time.
- In your introductory paragraph, write the synopsis of the film very briefly, making sure to answer the 3 Ws (Where, What, When). Your readers need to have an idea of what you’re talking about.
- Evaluate the form by paying attention to the technical elements: How are the special effects? The editing? Was the music effective? The cinematography (lighting and camera)? Do these elements serve the story or distract us from it?
- Judge the content: Does the story make sense? Are the characters’ actions justifiable? Does the storyline evolve logically or are there some unnecessary details? Is the message of the film clear or not?
- What do you think of the actors? Did they make you believe the characters they’re playing? What could have they improved?
- Avoid Spoilers. Remember that many people haven’t watched the film yet, so make sure not to reveal any key information.
- When reviewing any point, make sure to support it with examples from the film. Your opinion is only valid when justified.
- Make comparisons with previous films if necessary. Does it remind you of other films you’ve watched previously? In the case of a sequel, how is it different from the previous ones? What’s new about it?
- In your closing paragraph, tell us what you’ve learnt from the film. And would you recommend it to others?
Doha-Giffoni Experience – Free Screening
The Doha Film Institute invites young film lovers from ages 8 to 18 for a taste of the Doha-Giffoni Experience. Get daily tips on how to review films from our online workshop and join us for a magical screening of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow: Part 2”, where you will:
- Watch the final adventure of ‘Harry Potter’
- Be a young critic
- Be part of the Question & Answer (Q&A)
- Watch highlights of Qatar’s first delegate of jurors at the Giffoni Film Festival
- Get a sneak peek of the Doha-Giffoni Experience in Qatar
WHERE / WHEN
City Center Doha, Cinema 2
Wednesday, 27 July 2011
Wizard attire optional!
Sign-up at: email@example.com
Deadline to sign-up: 26 July 2011